Fast chargers are usually found in commercial properties, high streets or in supermarket car parks.
They’re primarily used for Electric Vehicle (EV) drivers who need to charge their vehicle quickly within a shorter time period.
However, this doesn’t mean they’re limited to public places.
In fact, having a fast charger at home can make a lot of sense, both from a time saving and cost effectiveness standpoint.
In this article, we’ll talk you through the benefits of installing an EV fast charger at home and why you should consider it.
Thinking about installing an EV charger at home? Here’s what you need to know.
What is an EV fast charger?
As the name suggests, the main difference between a fast EV charger and a regular unit, is the time it takes to charge your car.
Fast chargers supply 7kW of charge, more than double the amount of a standard EV charger.
Although it requires more energy, it charges your car a lot quicker, making it cheaper in the long run.
There are various types of fast charger on the market. It’s all about deciding on the one best for you.
These are just some of the more popular units available.
- Compatible with every EV available.
- Available as a universal or tethered socket.
- Can connect to an app, meaning no messy cables.
- Smallest and fastest charger available.
- Designed with the energy-conscious driver in mind.
- You can start, stop and schedule charges from your smartphone.
- Offers full visibility, allowing you to monitor and adjust power consumption.
- Designed for every electrical vehicle.
- Sleek design.
- Built using high grade materials for the highest performance and low maintenance.
- Helps you discover the best charging times to get you the best prices, making it even more sustainable.
- You have access to a full charging history, giving you a better understanding of how your charger works. This also lets you schedule future charges.
- Purchase an at home charging point or buy a portable cable for on the go charges.
- With the Ohme app you can find out where the closest charging point to you is.
- Allows you to choose whether you use the energy produced from your home or from the grid to charge your EV. Making it one of the most environmentally friendly chargers.
- Programmable and you can self-regulate where it pulls energy from.
Overall, choosing your home EV fast charging point depends on how you want it to work.
Do you need a portable charger as well as a fixed charging point?
Do you want it to work with the energy you produce at home?
Do you want it to schedule charges for you?
Speak to one of our experts today to help you figure out what will work best for you.
Are fast EV chargers suitable for home use?
While they’re not usually found outside homes, fast EV chargers can be installed for home use.
Fast chargers are convenient for drivers.
They allow you to charge whenever you need to, and are often controllable via supporting apps, making them easy to use.
Not only are they easy to use, a fast charger can save you time.
If you forget to charge your vehicle overnight, a fast charger can give you extra power in a shorter period in the morning, allowing you to drive longer distances.
A regular EV charging point would still allow you to add some charge in a short time, but you wouldn’t be able to generate as much energy – so would need to find a public charge point to top up.
Our team of professionals are fully trained to fit your charger for you.
How do you install a fast EV charger at home?
The process of installing a fast EV charger at home is actually pretty straight forward.
It just requires answers to some basic questions and some quick planning for the site where the charger will go.
But, you should never attempt to install an EV charger at home by yourself.
It requires a high level of knowledge about the charger itself and the safety precautions that go along with it.
Our installers have the highest level of training to make sure your EV charger is installed correctly and safely.
Involved in the installation is a full safety survey including the parking area and electrical access. The average person is not trained in this.
You’ll be connecting your charger to the main’s electrical connection, so it can be very dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing.
By using a qualified installer, your charger will be fitted correctly and safely.
Benefits of installing a fast charger at home
There are many benefits of having an EV charger fitted in your home:
- They’re convenient. If your car battery is running low you won’t have to travel to a charging station elsewhere.
- Cheaper in the long run. After the initial installation, there’ll be no further costs.
- You have access to a quick source of charging for your electric car.
- Many have apps you can download to control your charger. This means you can monitor the energy uses and schedule charges.
- They are now available in modern designs with hidden cables, so you won’t have to compromise when it comes to style.
What does the process of installing a fast charge EV system at home look like?
- Choose the right charger for you. Before you make any purchases, it’s important that you understand the different types of chargers and what will work best for you and your electric car.
- Choose an appropriate installer and book an appointment. You want someone who is trained in fitting the charger you’ve chosen. They should be able to answer any questions before, during and after the installation process.
- The installer will come to your house and complete a safety survey. This includes confirming if your parking and electricity access are in line with legal requirements.
- Any work and/or preparation needed will be identified.
- The person installing your charger will talk you through your options and give you a quote.
- An appropriate charging station will be chosen and connected to the mains supply.
- Once installed, the person who fitted the charger will do an in-depth demonstration on how to use it correctly and safely.
- You will need to download any supporting apps. Again, the installer will talk you through how to use them and why you need them.
- Before the installer leaves, they will give you details on how to contact them/the company they work for, if you have any further questions or if anything goes wrong.
- You’re all set and ready to start charging.
Why you should choose Downtown Electrical to install your home’s EV fast charger
Here at Downtown Electrical, we have some of the most reliable electric car charging technology on the market, with 5* customer reviews.
Whether it’s for personal, professional or public use, our team is fully trained in installing EV chargers.